Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Ah, the Golden End of Summer

A lovely old stone watering trough in Switzerland.

What a gorgeous sight out my back window. It’s one of those moments in time - there is a soft mist the sun is hitting just right. It looks like the finest gold mesh over everything. It reminds me of one of my favorite paintings at the Smithsonian, where the artist has painted a gauze head covering so fine that the underlying cloth is clearly seen, as well as the gauze. I can tell you exactly where it is, but I don’t remember the name of either the artist or the painting. Typical of me.

It is now afternoon and this is one of those sterling summer days - warm enough, slight breeze, gorgeous sky. I was in trouble again today for not having enough suet out. This time, I got the lecture from Papa Jay. I ‘d rather listen to the Downy, she at least, is quieter and doesn't cal all her aunts and sisters and cousins by the dozen to add to the racket.


It must be heading for fall - the mums are available. I always get ones that are in bud, with only 1 or 2 flowers showing, other wise, they will be over long before it is too cold to have them. Unless I really am brave, they won’t go in this year’s garden - too much digging. I’d rather do roses and berries.


Today’s tea is from Culinary Teas, Darjeeling Soom, Gunpowder - BPS. I don’t know what those letters mean, Soom is the name of the tea estate.  It is a black tea, very black, actually, very tightly rolled little pellets that smell of earth and chocolate, with a slightly sour twist at the edge for piquancy. I brew it up for 3.5 minutes with boiling water. Those little pellets sure do expand hugely into leaves that look chopped in half. The aroma is mostly earthy, with a mere hint of chocolate. The brew is a medium amber. It is smooth and medium bodied, with a slight earthiness, but mostly it is just a middle of the road tea, nothing awful, nothing special. However, a bit of cream and a little more cooling and this is a lovely, sweet tea, with indeed, some hints of cocoa.  So, I guess I will serve it a bit about 120 degrees and it will come into its own

No comments: