Saturday, June 4, 2011

That Was the Week That Was

Well, here I am again. My computer is still unwell, but I can use my husband's, as we finally got it back. I have been tea tasting in spite of how nuts it is around here. We all have a small freak out when the wind blows hard and stare at the sky, hoping this is just normal, The sound of power saws has been going on for days and it seems the more that is cleared, the more damage is revealed. But we all were truly fortunate in this freak occurrence. No one injured and fairly minor damage.




To add to the fun, I thought some quiet perennial planting would ease my mind. I forgot we have only3 inches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!of so-called topsoil over gravel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The next bit of unsettlement was the vacation we were planning starting the end of the month got moved up to six days from today. I am so unready. I guess I will need it by the time I am there. I have certainly needed tea!

So, on to some tea. One of the teas I have had recently was from the Tea Trekker - it is Wuyi Da Hong Pao Black. from Fujian Province, China. The black and brown leaves smelled something like an old candy with a bit of sharpness added. Maybe close to pineapple. I used a large teaspoon brewed at 212 for 3.5 minutes. As it brewed the aroma shifted to something earthy, sharp and metallic, like a hot iron woodstove. The flavor was nutty and yes, earthy, with a bit of astringency and some cocoa sprinkled over it. I couldn't decide if I liked it or not, but didn't have anymore to taste. I added a bit of cream at the end and you shouldn't, it did nothing for it.

Hopefully I will be able to write some more before vacation - if nothing else happens. I have comforted myself with baking bread and biscuits. Ta for now

No comments: