Thursday, June 9, 2011

A New Kid on the Block

I didn't say yesterday, but these poppies line the Italian train
tracks.

I'm not sure this falls in the category of "now I've seen everything," but it's pretty nifty. A tea vender in Bagladesh has perfected a 7 layer tea drink, using different kinds of tea. If you'd like to read the article and see the teas, go to http://blogs.wsj/scene/2011/06/07/the-secret-of-the-seven-layer-tea/. It really is worth a moment of your time.


My Ernie has decided to live, eat, drink water, and howl because I won't let him out until he eats more. I am doing much better as well. All of the critters are out on the very hot back porch, having hot naps. Me, I go for AC.


There is a new iPhone app - Tea. Guess what it is for. There is a built in timer for different types of tea and places to keep notes on tea, brew settings and lots more. I have no iPhone, so I can't say anything about it other than it exists. If you try it, consider doing a review of it here as a guest blogger.


I could not resist the siren song of a new Keemun from Upton's - Mao Feng Imperial, which hails from Anhui Province, China. Hmm-mm, what an aroma - deep and winey and fresh - the true "burgundy of tea", which is its nickname. The leaves are quite long and thin and twisted - I discover later some are twigs, but no matter. I brew this up for about 4 minutes by the two pot method, so those big leaves have lots of room. What a scent - very roasted and winey, with a background of corn silk or roasted corn. The liquor was lighter than I expected, definitely more a red than a black.


The flavor was definitely intriguing. Light, but deep, with overtones of honey. It is very smooth and there is a hint of a warm spice. There is no smokiness, which I know many do not like, but which I do. This would make a great afternoon tea with some sweets or cheesy savories. I may try it iced, but I have my doubts about that.

No comments: