Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Tea with Lord Nelson

Another of those cool Swiss watering troughs.


It's another beautiful day in the neighborhood. The promised snow did not appear and it's not even what you could call cold. I decided to go with my first love – black tea. Today's is from Culinary Teas and is called Trafalgar Anniversary Tea. It was blended originally to celebrate the sea victory of Lord Horatio Nelson over the French at Trafalgar, off the coast of Spain in 1805. I'm not sure why we always have to commemorate war, I think peace is really something to celebrate. Oh well.

This is an attractive tea, a mix of Ceylon, Kenya, Assam and China tea from Anhui Province. As if that were not enough, there are a few rose petals scattered throughout. Culinary says you can brew this as long as seven minutes, but I only did it for 3.5 and that was enough for me. In my opinion, it was already beginning to get a bit tannic. There is not a lot of scent, other than that of very fresh tea. The taste is quite bold and bright, with some maltiness and a bit of astringency. It takes very well to a spot of cream. There's nothing really special about this tea, but it tastes good. It really is just a good all-round black tea. It strikes me as sturdy enough for breakfast, but smooth enough for a pleasant afternoon, which is when I had it. By the way, there is no scent or flavor of roses, they are only decoration.












No comments: