Friday, April 13, 2012

Marshmallow Vodka Drives Me to Drink! Tea, That Is

http://maunakeatea.com/images/tea/08n_7622.jpgI have a new tea to try.  Fittingly, it is a green one - Sweet Roast Green Tea (Dark) from Mauna Kea Tea.  This is a tea grown and processed in Hawaii.  It is organic and specially selected to be low in caffeine.  Above is a picture of it.  You can see the leaves are chopped, flat, and green, with a brownish tinge, the result of roasting.  The idea is to stop just as the tea sweetens, but before it is as roasted as an Oolong.

This tea has quite a unique aroma, a cross between roasted meat and Cracker Jack Peanuts.  Now, there's a combo for you!  The company recommends using boiling water, with a 2 minute brew.  The smell has shifted to that of roasted corn or nuts.  I had this tea pretty hot and then let it cool.  I have to say I did not catch much sweetness.  Instead, to me it tasted as though it was almost, but not quite, burnt.  That is, just before you browned your nuts too much but caught them just in time.  Which I always hope to do.

I will be the first to admit I have trouble with a lot of green teas and I am not a fan of heavily roasted Oolongs.  So this may just be a personal thing I can't get past to say whether or not it is good on it's own.  If you are at all intrigued, in spite of me, I would suggest you order a sample and try it for yourself.


It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.  All my little seedlings are up and doing well.  Soon I will have to transfer them to larger pots.  The plants I brought in from their summer stay are beginning to look longingly towards trims and being out in the fresh air again.  Sadly, that's about 6 weeks off.  Especially since this spot is up a mountain and still quite chilly.

Okay, not tea related.  I was in the liquor store yesterday and there was a new flavor of Vodka - you'll never guess - marshmallow.  Ye Gods and little fishes!  I had to come home and have a whole pot of tea!

1 comment:

Steph said...

I would love to try this tea IN Hawaii! ;-)