Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Time for a Real Tea Party

Saturday, Aug 28, 2010

Is that a great tree or what? This is in Sorrento, Italy, in front of a
very posh residence.

This is National Cream Tea Week in Great Britain. Seems to me that is a perfect excuse for a tea party. So, let's break out the cups and saucers, cream and sugar and party!

I always want to like tea scented with Osmanthus, but it seems I never do. However, Life in Teacup has changed that. I ordered some of Gingko's Golden Osmanthus Oolong [Huang Jin Gui] and was very happily surprised. The dry tea comes in factory sealed small metallic packets - about enough for 3 mugs. It is very loosely rolled greenish balls. I used enough to cover the bottom of a small mug, rinsed them with boiling water and then let them brew for about 2 minutes. I know, I know, I should've done them for less time and multiple infusions, but I just didn't want to today One should be allowed to drink tea whatever way suits them.


The tea was a pretty pale gold, with a lovely flowery scent. The taste just followed right along, being soft, flowery, delicate, just skimming over your tongue and leaving you refreshed. There don't seem to be a lot of nuances to this tea, but I don't think it needs them. It would be just perfect for when something delicate is just what you want. And I am happy to find an osmanthus I like.

I never seem to know about how much Oolong to use, but on line someone said that enough to cover the bottom of your brewing vessel was about right. I have been doing that and it seems to work very well. However, I have had some quite large balls of Oolong and others and for them I find that 7-9 balls for a mug works. It can be really amazing how much tea will expand in hot water.

1 comment:

Alex Zorach said...

I didn't brew this tea as you were "supposed" to either...but my results were outstanding. I absolutely loved this tea. my review. I'm falling in love with the se chung oolongs and huang jin gui / golden osmanthus is one of my favorites.