Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A Teacup Full


Monday, August 31, 2010


These cute little Italian trucks only have 3 wheels and are only
about 4'8" tall. Perfect for city driving in very narrow streets.

Autumn is surely coming. The champagne grapes - those tiny, tiny ones are in the stores, the Italian blue plums are in the farmers markets and the trees on the hills are shading from the deep pure green of summer into the yellow tinged colors of fall. However, summer is having one last hurrah this week with temperatures in the upper 80's and high 90's. A good time for indoor chores and iced tea. I have some waiting in the fridge - The Tea Table's It's Afternoon Somewhere, which I have reviewed before. First, the last of the hot tea for a bit.


I am a big fan of Oriental Beauty Tea. My problem is I haven't found any as good as the first one I tried and that company no longer caries it. I bought some from Life in Teacup - Oriental Beauty Superior Grade. The dry tea scent is nutty and floral, but sharp, too. The green and white leaves are large, with lots of buds. I brewed it just under boiling for about 1 minute for the first infusion and about 1.5 minutes for the second.

The first infusion was such a pretty color - a soft pale gold, like the dandelion jelly I just got at the farmers market. The tea seemed to be nutty and greenish tasting, thick feeling and somehow filling, if that makes any sense. There were hints of floral, but not enough to my taste. The second cup smelled like freshly ironed clothes and was more green tasting and somewhat astringent. Even though the slight floral note had disappeared, I liked it even better. This is a very nice tea. However, I am still searching for that early perfection.

1 comment:

Alex Zorach said...

I just tried this tea...thank you so much for sending it to me! Here's my review.

I still can't get into this style! Perhaps I just prefer more bitter teas, and oriental beauty is just not a bitter style. But I can see some people really loving this tea.