Friday, June 22, 2012

Splish, Splash, I Was Having A Slush

I am getting ready to leave for vacation tomorrow.  Of course, I had to have an emergency tooth extraction, which ate up 2 days and it has been hot enough to fry eggs on the grass.  Thank God for ice tea.  Mine has been from DeVos Tea, www.devostea.com  .  It is Floral Green.  I put some in a tea sock, poured cold water over it in a glass pitcher and stuck it in the fridge for about 5 hours and voila! ice tea.  It is light and full of delicate floral taste and aroma, with a hint of vegetal.  So refreshing!

I also made a green tea slushy with some green tea, semi-frozen honeydew and simple syrup, quickly swirled together with some ice and some mint.  Yum, yum.  I am going to try cantalope with one of the fruity Oolongs.  At the moment, strawberries with a Darjeeling sounds good, too.

This is an orange tree.  Not just any orange tree, mind you, but one growing up through the floor of a second story restaurant in Sorrento, Italy.  I loved this eatery.  It is where I first discovered the wonders of roasted or grilled veggies.  I could have eaten just them every night we were there.


The wild orange daylilies are blooming and there is a great wide swath of them out on the main road. I am very fond of them.  My first daylily has bloomed, a lovely pale apricot.  I sprayed all of them with anti-deer spray.  Actually, a lot of my perennials are beginning to bloom, so our door yard is looking quite nice.  I have mixed in a number of herbs, as they can be quite attractive and give me lots of material for making herbal vinegars and oils.  My best one to date has been orange mint in white balsamic.  Delicate, sweet and delish!

See you again around July 1st.  The time is going too fast!

2 comments:

Alex Zorach said...

Wow, so many tea companies...De Vos tea, The Devotea, so much possibility for confusion!

I think it would be so great to be able to grow orange trees or other fruit trees in / around / through buildings...that's sadly something that doesn't work in cold climates. I have had fun growing citrus indoors though, I grew what I think was a grapefruit (it never fruited though) indoors for some time when I lived in Cleveland. I was surprised at how well it grew, given the low lighting, being indoors and in such a cloudy, northerly region.

Steph said...

Oh, this slushy sounds yummy! Hope you are healing well.