Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Scones Of My Heart

I think I made the best scones of my life today.  Lime, ginger, coconut.  I'll give you the regular recipe first and then what I did.  The original is from Sacramental Magic in a Small-town Cafe by Brother Peter Reinhart

Sal's Scones

Set your oven for 350 degrees

Mix the following together:

3 3/4 cups flour (the recipe calls for 3 cups, which is cake batter, this works)
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
pinch of salt
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 cup currants

Melt 1/2 pound butter - 2 sticks or 1 stick and 1/2 cup mild oil

Mix the butter with
 1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup lemon juice from the lemon you zested
 Stir into the dry ingredients quickly and pat out into a big circle about 2 inches high.  Mark it for 12 scones or
pat it out and cut into circles.

Bake for about 25 minutes  You can beat up one egg and brush it on the top if you wish.

These always come out really well, no matter what I add.

My changes.  I used the zest and juice from 3 limes, about 1/4 more sugar, about 1 cup of coconut and 1 of dried pineapple, instead of currants.  I mixed the zest, coconut and pineapple in with the dry.  I use freeze dried buttermilk, which also goes in the dry and then water for the liquid.  I put the lime juice in the measuring cup first and added enough water to make 1 1/4 cups.  The extra sugar was to compensate for unsweetened coconut and the extra tartness of the lime.

These are so exceptional, I had to share them.  Next time, I may use coconut milk for the liquid, still with the powdered buttermilk.  Last time I made dried fig and orange, which my husband thought were to die for.

In case you can't tell, I like to experiment.  They are going very nicely with some Yunnan Special Grade from Upton's.



Another german river town

No comments: