Friday, December 9, 2011

News of the World


I generally like Ceylon tea and the Kenilworth Estate produces some nice ones. So, I was looking forward to Adagio"s Ceylon Sonata, which hales from there. The classic black leaves gave off a sharp fruit aroma, with a wine undertaste. I brewed it for my standard 3.5 minutes with boiling water. It gave off a faint citrus aroma. However, I was sadly disappointed, as this was nothing special at all. It is supposed to be “ bright, lively, with a medium body and tangy finish” It did have a medium body, but try as I might, I couldn’t find the others. I thought maybe it was just me, but my husband didn’t think much of it, either.  I shall try it again, perhaps with more tea or a longer brewing time.


For you lucky  folks in NYC, Davids Tea, a Montreal based company, is opening 2 retail stores, one on the Upper East Side At 1124 3rd Ave. and one in the Village at 275 Bleecker St.  They are one of the few places in town where you can just get one cup of fresh-brewed tea.

On the other side of the country, the Winter Fancy Food Show is being held January 15-17 at the Moscone Center in San Francisco.  This is put on by the National Association of the Specialty Food Trade and features more than 1,300 exhibitors.  This also includes beverages, such as our favorite.

India is strongly considering having one tea label for all it's teas, as Ceylon (Sri Lanka) does.  This is an over-arching label, meant to increase recognition in the international market and will not replace estate labels or company labels, such as Thunderbolt Teas.  Also, in India, for the first time, orthodox teas - full-leaf, often hand picked and processed - will cost less than CTC.  This is due in part to the ban on exporting tea to Pakistan.  Politics strikes again.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

There are some delicious Ceylon teas, as you of course know, but the better my palette gets, the less I find myself drawn to them.

Of course I can name exceptions. Wonderful teas that I relish, but I've really noticed my increased attraction to other regions.

I keep hearing so much about David's Tea. At some point, I'll be in a place where there's one of their shops.

Alex Zorach said...

Why do they need a single label for teas from India? And what is this going to accomplish? It just seems a bit strange to me. I'd rather see Darjeeling, Assam, Nilgiri tea on the shelves, and I'd rather start seeing other regions represented too, Sikkim. If you were to look at typical examples of black teas, Assam would be, in my opinion, much more different from Darjeeling tea than Nilgiri tea is from Ceylon tea.

Marlena said...

I believe the reasoning is to have on recognizable logo, as Sri Lanka does. There was no mention of not differentiating. Like there are Saltine crackers, but about 7 different kinds. Or the Ceylon teas all carry the lion logo, but each tea garden/estate sells under their own label.