Friday, October 28, 2011

We're Off To See The Wegmans, The Wonderful Wegmans Of...

This is a photo of the scenery from my grandfather's porch in Switzerland.  How I would love to see that every morning.

We had snow!  It snowed for about 2 hours, but none of it stuck, as the ground hasn't frozen yet.  Quite dutifully, I thought, we had frost last night, the really truly end of summer.

Another Yunnan today.  This is from that great culinary haven, Wegmans, their Yunnan English Breakfast Black Tea.  I discovered they also have Double Devon Cream and Clotted Cream.  As my friend Bev and I had already been pretty bad with cheeses and olives, I passed it up, for now.  However....

Back to the main object of the day.  The dry tea smells very typically Yunnan, sort of earthy, with a touch of cocoa, maybe a lick of spice.  The mostly brown twisted leaves are enlivened by some gold buds.  I brewed it for nearly 5 minutes, at a little below boiling.  The resulting brew is very dark and smells like the inside of a cobbler's shop - tanned leather, shoe dye, but still with that hint of cocoa.  Odd, I know, but it is an aroma I like, so don't be put off by it.  Oh yum, this is a nice tea.  The chocolate comes out in the liquor, it is the first thing I can taste.  Then the spice comes in and some tannic action here as well - the latter probably from brewing it a bit too long and maybe a bit too much extra tea.  I added some half and half and was quite pleased.  This is sturdy enough for breakfast and while it has some complexities, you could drink it in a somewhat somnolent state and not feel you were doing it a huge injustice.

2 comments:

Steph said...

I recently visited Yunnan in my "I'm so lucky!" tea tour. I drank tons of Pu-Erh. :-) But I also love Yunnan Black teas!

Alex Zorach said...

I've read that some of Wegmans' teas are supplied by Rishi, and this one sounds very similar to Rishi's China Breakfast...in fact, reading your description, I am wondering if it's the same tea. I do really like that tea, and feel similarly about it as you wrote about this tea.