Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Oranges in the Rain

Love the sun and the sea on the Amalfi coast

Hoo boy, rain! It rained hard last night and today it is blowing and raining. Only Bert the brave has gone out. Ernie is whining about it, Andy went out, got rained on and returned immediately. La Principessa thinks they're all stupid and remains regally on her silk cushion.

I've just joined the Cornell Feeder Watch program, where I keep a tally of the number and kind of birds that I see in my backyard, two days a week. I don't get a huge variety as my yard is new and it is quite a ways to the trees. So far, the dread starlings haven't discovered us, and I am just as happy.

I was out for lunch and had a pleasant tea - Wild Sweet Orange from Tazo. This is a "juicy blend of lemongrass, citrus herbs, licorice root and orange essences", an herbal blend. It was a teabag, in a pot of very hot water. I let it brew about 5 minutes. It was so good. There was some sweetness, but mostly a very clear, sharp orange taste, a bit acid, a bit full and well-rounded. I am always surprised by Tazo, their teas carry a lot of flavor for a tea bag tea, much more than I would expect. I don't think I've had any that weren't well done.

2 comments:

Steph said...

That's one of my favorite tea bag blends.

Alex Zorach said...

I love the aroma of Wild Sweet Orange, but it's too sour for me. My favorite from Tazo is calm. It's probably my favorite herbal tea that I've had from a teabag, with the sole exception of straight tulsi from Organic India.

That's exciting about the feeders too. I've found starlings tend not to frequent feeders. I think their diet consists mostly of insects, and they'll only come to a feeder as a last resort, such as if they're starving in a snowstorm. House sparrows, on the other hand, are another story; they seem to be the big problem at most feeders...but there are a lot of tricks you can do to discourage them, from the type of seed to the placement of the perches.