Saturday, May 29, 2010

Early or Late, it's Spring

More of those snazzy swords. The schloss museum had armor from the same period [around 1500] in another room and man, they were short people! The swords must have been 2 feet taller. I guess they would have been used on horse back.


I'm back in business. I got a filter that works and uses my old filter pods. I tried it last night with some decaf Red Rose and wasn't too thrilled – it's the teabags, I think, although as a pot, not a cup, it's not too awful.


Today, however, I am trying Life in Teacup's Frosty Spring Yunnan Roast Green, that was picked in January of this year. The dry leaves are very pretty, a mix of almost black, green and pale tan. Most of them are quite large and they smell like cut alfalfa that has just begun to dry or maybe somewhat dry lawn grass. The brewing leaves almost immediately sink to the bottom of the pot and very slowly unfurl. The scent is kind of odd, smelling very vegetal, but also meaty and the liquid is a very attractive pale green, with a slight lemon tinge. I did two infusions, both about 2 minutes at about 175. The second is darker and more yellow, and the leaves are all unfurled. I should have read the directions on the site, as I used too cool water for too long. So I'll do it tomorrow or Monday the way Gingko recommends.


In spite of that, I find this to be a pleasant tea. I can't pinpoint its taste, as it seems to change with every sip. It seems like a hearty tea, in spite of its delicate color. As it cools, it smells a tad flowery, although it is vegetal all the way. Now, which veggie? I am leaning toward roasted asparagus, but I'm not sure.


The second infusion is much lighter in taste, but also clearer. It just tastes of fresh green spring. I think I prefer it. Whatever, the next infusions, done “correctly”, will be the real test.

I was really pleased by the teas I ordered from Life in Teacup. For one, you can order in small amounts of 1 or 2 ounces. Secondly, they are not too expensive. They come in those handy metallic resealable pouches and lastly, but not leastly, she sent a number of free samples. You might want to check it out at www.lifeinteacup.com















No comments: