Friday, November 20, 2009

Gingering up Bowdoin College



The nose still doesn't know much, so I will continue to pass on some information and a tea review I have been saving for just such an occasion.


Bowdoin Collge, in Maine, is giving a course in the history of tea! Wowee kazowee! If you go to this link you'll read about it and see a video of the students doing a tea tasting. It's worth it. www.bowdoin.edu/news/archives/1academicnews/006879.shtml

If you are interested in attending tea events around the country or world, http://www.teaeventscalendar.com/ has them listed! They is part of http://www.teaguide.net/, which has all sorts of information for tea people.


I am trying another of my stash of teabag teas. It is Tazo's Green Ginger. The ingredients are green tea, ginger, pear and lemon grass. When I opened the well wrapped bag, I was greeted with a wonderful smell I could not identify but it reminded me strongly of Chinese food – perhaps bamboo shoot with lemon. I brewed it at 180 for 2 minutes and it continued to smell very nice. The tea brew itself is a very good balance of flavors, not too gingery, with a warm, not tart flavor of lemon with a hint of sweetness. I think it would be ideal for those who want to drink green tea, but aren't sure they want to taste green tea. I also think it would be a pleasant accompaniment for milder Chinese food, like dumplings or scallion pancakes. Definitely a keeper.


The picture is that of a balcony in a small German church. I doubt we would be accused of sleeping through a service!

1 comment:

Steph said...

Thank you for that link to the tea calendar! I had not known of that.