Tuesday, November 13, 2012

One Brief Shining Moment

That is indeed what we had early this morning.  We had our first snow - all 1 inch of it!  As the sun was coming up, the trees around the bog were caught in the rising mist, all splendid, shining silver. Then the clouds, consumed with jealousy, hid it all and forced their gray selves upon us.  But we live for those momemts.

And... we comfort ourselves with tea, which can be another shining moment.  Today seems like an Oolong day and I am having Jung Xuan from Alishan, Taiwan via the Red Blossom Tea Company.  This is one of those little-balls-with-a-tail Oolongs that are such fun to watch unfurl.  In the packet, it smells like fresh hay or cut lawn, with a lovely hint of jasmine/orchid/gardenia coming out if you inhale deeply.

I brewed it for 3 minutes with water about 200 degrees.  The resulting liquid is a soft yellow-green, with that great floral aroma.  It has a light, fresh taste, with a lovely floral accompaniment.  On the whole it is very like almost every Ali Shan, I've tried.  I would rate it about in the middle of that pack.  Very pleasant, but not outstanding.

The day has had other lovley bits in it.  I saw three hawks - a harrier, a red-shouldered and a red tail in various places on my travels.  The best, only seen now that the leaves are gone was several!! oriole nests.  I am thrilled, as I wondered if we would ever see any more.  They used to nest in elms, usually over a stream, but the elms are gone.  Now, many of them nest over roads, which perhaps, seem like streams to them.  I had 3 of these gorgeous birds at the feeders this summer.

Speaking of which, Cornell U. has a program called Project Feeder Watch where you can keep track of birds in your yard and report them to a data collection site.  You can also find out which birds are where and the most common ones.  Just google Project Feeder Watch and read all about it.  A good thing to do with your tea.

2 comments:

Steph said...

Hawks, snow, oolong - it's say that's a shining day!

Unknown said...

Hi Marlena

I am Richard, the Blogger of TeaSeek Blog. I am now seeking
out possible link partners that our visitors would be
interested in visting.I've found your blog to be a very good
fit for our visitors. I have already gone ahead and added
your link to our blog at:
http://teaseek.blogspot.com/

I am contacting you to see if is ok to have done so. Also, I
would like to ask if you mind linking back to us? If so,
please use the linking details below:

Title: TeaSeek Blog
URL: http://teaseek.blogspot.com/

In addition, we have followed you on Twitter. We wish you would
also follow us:
https://twitter.com/ViconyTeas
http://www.facebook.com/viconyteas

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards

Richard Zhang