Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Violets And Herbs

The violets are blooming.  They are nestled in what passes for our backyard and in some places, there are great drifts of them  Welcome, welcome!  I floated a few in my tea, which I had in my violet patterned teacups.  Now, if  I could only find a violet patterned teapot I really liked!

My tummy troubles have persisted, but I think they may finally be drawing to an end.  I gave up trying to have real tea - it just didn't smell or taste good or be kind to my tum.  What to do instead?

For probably centuries, One of the mainstays of folk medicine for ailing stomachs was peppermint .  It still is today.  It both soothes your innards while the lovely smell tends to pep you up a bit.  Another old stand-by is chamomile.  It is both soothing and calming, very good for relaxing one just before bed time.  The third, which was certainly a stand-by in tropical climes, is ginger.  By the time of the spice trades began coming to the west, I'm sure it caught on quickly.  My chiropractor recommends it for anyone whose stomach is ailing.  I have been giving it to my husband and it has helped him enormously.  I've been drinking it when the thought of food makes me feel nauseated.  It is good for nausea and also good for motion sickness.

I am not much for herbal teas in general, but I do find these to be very useful and they are always in my cupboard.



A massive hinge for a huge gate into a palace in Vienna.

2 comments:

La Tea Dah said...

A friend gave me a violets teapot recently --- and I was so delighted! I hope you find one soon as well.

I wonder how your tummy would do if you drank kombucha. I've been making it and it has many healthy qualities and is supposed to be good for the digestive system. I make it from black tea mostly, but sometimes use white or green.

I hope you feel better.
LaDonna
Gracious Hospitality

Steph said...

I love violets! I'm in Taiwan right now drinking tea from heaven!